Hours per week ~
Richmond Theater for Young Readers has learners act out a script using fluent and expressive reading to tell a story. The course is designed to appeal to students’ sense of play, spark their interest and encourage them to fully engage with the target language and the text. Because each reading is a ”performance,” teachers can introduce ”rehearsals” thus helping students build up their reading proficiency and self-confidence while also improving their fluency.
- Encourages active engagement in the stories through performance
- Incorporates content areas—math, science and social studies—within each unit
- Allows students to develop vocabulary specific to the content areas—their previous knowledge is also activated and incorporated into the lessons
- Promotes phonemic awareness which in turn positively rewards reading achievement
- Makes older students responsible for self-monitoring of both accuracy and comprehension
- Includes guided questions of increasing levels of complexity